Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Positive vibes

Tuesdays at Two Writing Teachers!
"What's up, P?" I'm truly glad to see her, even though it usually takes all the energy I can muster to be cheerful at 7:30 in the morning. I wonder if she needs to have another serious talk about all she's been struggling with. I'm always honored to be someone that my students feel they can come to anytime.
Welcome to room A2! Looks like fun, right?

"I just came to get some positive vibes from your room!" She shrugs, grins, and plops down at the little table beside my desk. "I get really depressed in the morning, you know, and I just... I don't know, I love your room, I don't know why."
I'm quite proud that my room looks more like an elementary room than a high school room!

"I'm so glad! Mornings are rough, and I work really hard to make my room a happy and comfortable place for you guys!"

"I just love all the colors you have in here, and it makes me feel so positive, and you know, sometimes I just feel like I can't... but then I come in here, and I love all the things you have... I thought that if I could come here in the morning, I could start my day feeling better!"

A community of readers...

"Aw, thanks, P. That's a great idea! I'm excited that I'll get to see you in the mornings now!" And I really am. What better way to start each day than with a reminder of what really matters?

...and a community of writers!
I've been quoting Stephen Krashen about the importance of a low affective filter since grad school, but it's really much more simple than that: I love my kids, and I want them to be happy in my room. And nothing means more than knowing they realize that.

3 comments:

  1. I can see why she gets good vibes in your room, but I think it's more than just the surroundings. I think it has to do with the person in the room who creates a spark and ignites learners. Don't you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Elsie said, you are that person that is the magnet, but I do admit the room looks very happy too. I love seeing all the colors and "pieces" of your students shared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your room is delightful, and I wish I could plop in there for a few minutes each morning as well!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy and I'd love to hear from YOU! :-)