Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Mommy come!

Tuesdays at Two Writing Teachers!
"Mommy tome! Mommy look for dem!" A tiny hand tugged on the bottom of my robe and a warm little arm wrapped itself around my leg. In a rush to drag me across the kitchen, a small, wiggly body strained to pull me along as scampering feet stumbled over my big bunny slippers.

It was 8:30 on Easter morning and we'd already been hunting eggs around our downstairs for nearly a half hour. (Apparently, this is how long it takes when you have to open every egg immediately upon finding it, even when they are hidden in plain sight for toddler eyes!)

From the moment we met Little Sweetie in her room and told her it was Easter, the morning had been nothing but pure joy. "Easter Bunny COMES!" she screeched. "EGGS! PRESENTS!" (Just like in December, with "Santa! Presents!", my mom had made sure she knew what to expect!) As we changed her diaper, she craned her neck backwards towards the rest of the house, throwing back her arms and waving her little hands in the direction of the great room. "Eggs! Downstairs! Easter Bunny brings eggs! Hi, eggs!"

We'd watched her scurry around the great room, narrating the hunt as she went.
"Other egg! Run to it! RUNNING! Open it! PRIZE!" Pitter patter. "Other egg! See it! Get it! Open it! Prize is hiding!" Pitter patter. "More up there! Easter Bunny CAME! Kitty n Baba watched! MORE EGGS! Hiding! Open them! Basket!" Pitter patter. "Look for more! M. looking! OTHER EGGS! Get them out!" Pitter patter...

I thought there was nothing better than watching this little whirlwind of excitement tear around the downstairs... until she grabbed my leg and insisted that I come with her. "Mommy tome! Mommy look for dem!" I'm not sure what made her decide that I suddenly needed to join the hunt, but as I tried to keep us both from falling down in the midst of her frenzied tugging, I wanted to freeze time forever. "Daddy..." I shot him a you-better-get-a-picture-of-this look and concentrated on the feeling of her squrimy little self dragging my leg forward while her squeaky voice chirped.

"Looking for eggs!!! 'Gether! With MOMmy!"

2 comments:

  1. "Hi, eggs!" Love this, Jennifer, and love hearing her excitement in all that talk, then grabbing you to come, too. She's growing up already. I've missed you, hope things are good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a joy! Such a fun Easter saved to relive over and over. What a delightful slice of life. Missed you in March, but I get it. Glad you were back on Tuesday, even though I wasn't.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy and I'd love to hear from YOU! :-)