Tuesday, February 20, 2018

All my heart

Tuesdays at Two Writing Teachers!

Tonight
I was going to write about the Chinese New Year celebration we attended on campus yesterday
and how my daughter was completely enamored
with the friendly dancing lion
while the professors and students were completely enamored
with my daughter
in her silk dress my dad brought her from one of his many recent business trips to China

but just now
as Husband was helping her into her unicorn & rainbow pajama pants,
she suddenly spun around, declaring,
"I'm going to kiss you, Mommy!"

And she did,
leaning over to me with little arms outstretched:
"Mm-muh!"

And then
wrapping those wriggly arms around my head,
big blue eyes staring into mine,
she started running her spindly fingers through my hair.

"I like your hair, Mommy!"
Tiny fingers winding, weaving, and smoothing my frizzy flyaways.
"Your hair is nice!
"Your ponytail is soft, comfy, and sweet!"

Those deep blue pools again:
"I love you! I really love you!"

And now
that's all my heart
and brain
contain.

So you'll have to be content with just a picture
of the little blonde girl who loved a dancing Chinese lion yesterday.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Jen. What a sweet moment to share. And the best thing about blogging is you will always have this written moment to look back on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the photo (and her sweet little braided hair), but I adored the story you shared so much.

    I've been thinking about you the past couple of weeks. Reach out anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's all your heart and brain contain?! That is plenty! What a sweet moment to preserve and hold close to your heart forever.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy and I'd love to hear from YOU! :-)