Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Retreating into writing

at Two Writing Teachers!
Last week we kicked off the Columbus Area Writing Project with a three-day retreat at gorgeous Kenyon College.  We explored new ideas as we explored the unfamiliar beauty of the campus, shared our words and our writing lives, and grounded ourselves in the power of story.  Suddenly (and yet gradually), a smattering of strangers came together into a supportive family of teacher-writers.

We had some free hours to discover the inspirations hiding around Kenyon's campus, and I was lucky enough to be one of the first from our group to discover the magical wishing tree.

As soon as our project directors mentioned that there was a special tree people could "go inside", I just had to find it.  I was always that kid who loved crawling under tables, benches, and bushes to create secluded forts and cozy hideaways.  However, I wasn't prepared for the surprise that awaited me.

I was picturing a stately tree with a hole or hollow in the trunk.  Instead, I found a gangly, unkempt monster.

But when I dared to come closer, I discovered that the unwieldy arms of this hulking beast actually hide inviting passageways into an enchanted paradise.

Looking back toward the "doorway" through which I entered.
(The tags are wishes left by visitors)



Following a well-worn path to duck through the curtain of leaves, I reeled with the magic of what I found:  The tree's branches enclosed it in a mystical living shroud, 360 degrees around.

Were forest nymphs going to shyly come out of hiding, or would talking animals greet me  with songs of welcome?

In the center of this secluded dome, the tree's massive trunk stood strong, reaching toward the sky even as delicate strands from its its branches dangled back down toward the ground.


Delighted, I scampered around the bright green bubble, taking pictures from all angles.  I crawled onto the massive branches and climbed until the ground seemed too far away. 

I knew I HAD to write here, so I settled into a branch that seemed made to hold me.


Relaxing, I opened up all my senses, and the words came...


Soft sunlight wafts down onto my skin, peeking through gnarled branches and tumbling green cascades.  Wispy puffs of cotton sail by high overhead.  Enveloped in a green sanctuary, I am completely alone, but not lonely.  Cheerful birds call to their friends, occasionally interrupted by the deep brassy bellowing of sacred bells.  Spindly, shiny ants toddle through their tiny lives along these branches we share.  The soothing breeze gently ruffles waxy leaves that dangle with veins full of life.  I gulp renewing breaths of untainted air as my muscles slowly let go of lingering tensions.  The sturdy gray branch against my back reassures me as it cradles me.  These worn knots and ancient wrinkles hold a thousand dreams and wishes.  If I am still enough, I can almost feel the heartbeat of those stories coursing through the coiling branches.  Faraway, yet right outside, bright tennis shoes and deep blue jeans stroll by, unaware of my hidden refuge.  Do they know what they are missing?


(Special thanks to my CAWP colleague Shelly, who discovered me writing and took the last 3 pictures!)

15 comments:

  1. You have such a way with words! Beautiful.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't Kenyon the best? And isn't it amazing how quickly the CAWP community of writers is formed? You are in for such a treat and you will always have a family within NWP. It doesn't matter what NWP functions I attend, I feel at home immediately. Enjoy these 2 weeks. You will be changed forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! That's what I've heard from so many, and it's so exciting!

      Delete
  3. What a fantastic photo of you cradled into the branch of the tree. Will you return to this gorgeous writing spot on your own?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, Stacey! It's a little over an hour away from where I live, so unfortunately I can't go there often... but I do want to return! (As soon as I got back, I told my husband we have to go together so he can see it!)

      Delete
  4. What a writing retreat. That is an amazing tree that you share through he words and pictures. I'm reconnecting with Writing Project colleagues this week, but I haven't found a wishing tree yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I am entranced with that tree. What an awesome discovery! Your words just flowed, like the life in that tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was entranced too, elsie! What a lovely comment!

      Delete
  6. Just beautiful, Jennifer. It sounds like such a marvelous place. I'm sure that you won't soon forget this time. I loved "If I am still enough, I can almost feel the heartbeat of those stories coursing through the coiling branches." Just think how many have been there all through the years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I was thinking the whole time, Linda! I love how trees seem like they carry the memory and wisdom of people through time, and this special tree certainly seemed to do just that!

      Delete
  7. Ohhh the tree! What a beautiful piece of writing nestled within a beautiful piece of writing. Think you can find a similar place around DSHS? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gretchen! That's a good question... there are actually a lot of trees around school, so maybe there's a magical one hiding there, waiting for me to find it! I'll have to explore more this year! :-)

      Delete
  8. What a great place! Both writing and pictures make us feel for a moment that we are there, too.

    (Also, we used almost the same line in our writing...
    http://newtreemom.wordpress.com/2013/06/18/blue-heron/
    check it out and see what you think...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing place! No wonder the words just flow. can just anyone go there??? I would love to hide and get inspired as well.
    P.S. I am looking forward to reading your writings this summer:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should drive down to Gambier and check it out for yourself, Jaana! It's right on College Park St. on the Kenyon College campus, near the Church of the Holy Spirit. :-)

      Delete

Comments make me happy and I'd love to hear from YOU! :-)