Tuesday, January 6, 2015

One Little Word 2015: Love

Tuesdays at Two Writing Teachers!
Except in kindergarten, when I made a New Year's Resolution to stop sucking my thumb, resolutions were never really my thing.

But when the amazing community of teacher-writers at Two Writing Teachers introduced me to the concept of choosing One Little Word for the year, I was immediately intrigued and excited. After all, I love words! And I'm easily overwhelmed. Choosing just one word to guide me through the year seemed manageable and encouraging: one word to center me and help me focus. One beacon, one light, one anchor.

In 2012, I chose to CONNECT more deeply.
In 2013, I filled my year with DELIGHT.
And last year, I strove to be a SPARK.

Those little words took me on incredible journeys. Every year, I'm astonished at just how often my word pops into my daily life.

The word that has found me this year may seem overly simple and obvious, but I believe it's a word we really don't use often enough or in the right ways.

I made this year's visual with the Drawing Desk app. Fun!
This year, I want to fill my life with a focus on LOVE... and I don't mean the sappy romantic kind, but the kind described in 1 Corinthians 16:14 --
"Do everything with love."

So yes, I'll center myself with LOVE for my sweet husband, in little and big ways. I'll savor LOVE for my wonderful parents, who are so much fun. And I'll explore a whole new kind of LOVE for the tiny human being who's miraculously growing inside me!

But I'll also strive to give more LOVE to my precious friends by spending more time with them and showing them how much I appreciate and treasure them.

I'll remind myself to ensure that no matter what else my students take from my classes, they remember that I LOVE them. Their tears, conversations, and writing this fall around our read aloud of One for the Murphys were a wallop right to my heart: kids just want to be loved. Even the big ones. Especially the tough ones. So I'll do my best to make them readers, writers, and thinkers, but I'll also do my best to make sure that in the midst of testing, rigor, grades, and credits, they know, deep down, that they are loved.

And as I wade through the shadows of modern education
that attempt to snatch my attention
from loving those kids,
those friends, and those family members...
and as Husband and I navigate 
the astonishing, breathtaking, 
formidable new path
 that stretches in front of us...

I'll seek to focus on the things I LOVE most:

small moments,
 special connections,
everyday magic.


I can't wait to see where this year of LOVE takes us!

9 comments:

  1. I love that LOVE found you as your OLW this year, Jen. You sure have lots of embrace this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, Congratulations!!!!! The new tiny human is going to have one amazing mother! Second, LOVE is a great One Little Word! I look forward to reading more about your journey this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think love is a perfect word and a perfect time to chose it with a wee one coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great word! I love your reasons and explanations for choosing this word....great choice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfect word! I think your OLW has great things in store for you this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Congrats! So happy for you & love is the perfect word! A baby brings lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jennifer, congratulations! I'm so happy for you and your husband. 2015 will certainly be a year full of love. I know how much you love your students, & suspect they'll be excited for you, too. Happy Days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a feeling there was a baby coming.:-) So happy for you, your husband, and especially your parents. How lucky they are to be nearby. I'm savoring every moment I can with my new granddaughter (born Sat.). This is the perfect year for love, because you will discover new depths of that word with your child. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad I went back and read this older post! Congratulations! May you have a wonderful 2015 surrounded with love!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy and I'd love to hear from YOU! :-)