Thanks to Ruth and Stacey at Two Writing Teachers (who are basically the reason I started my own blog!), I was introduced to the concept of "One Little Word". It sounds like a neat, reasonable way to make New Year's Resolutions that might actually be keep-able. After all, focusing on just one word seems manageable, plus I love doing creative things with words so I'll have fun creating some little reminders of my word to place around me.
So here goes: my word for 2012 is: connect.
Merriam-webster.com defines connect in a variety of ways: (my own emphasis added)
1 : to become joined
2 a : to meet for the transference of passengers b : to transfer (as from one airplane to another) as a step in traveling to a final destination
3: to make a successful hit, shot, or throw
4: to have or establish a rapport
5: to establish a communications connection
1: to join or fasten together usually by something intervening
2: to place or establish in relationship
For me this year, connect is going to mean 5 things:
- to grow my relationships with family and friends by being intentional about spending more time with them
- to establish stronger relationships with my students by taking more opportunities to get to know them and show them that I care about them
- to build stronger professional relationships in my district by continuing to share with, help, and learn from a variety of colleagues at all of my buildings
- to continue expanding my virtual PLN by writing more in my blog and leaving more comments on teaching blogs that I read
- to further inspire my students to love learning and make my content relevant by finding even more ways to connect to other disciplines and "real-life" with authentic activities that blend culture and communication