Recently, I got a new highlight among these little moments as my 6th graders worked on a project in the computer lab. A couple of kids called me over to ask some unique questions:
- student: "You know how sometimes you talk to us in a whole lot of Spanish?"
- me: "Yeah..." (thinking: You better not ask me to talk to you in all English instead, b/c it's not happening!)
- student: "Well, do you ever THINK in Spanish?" (several friends nearby lean in and squirm with curiosity)
- me: "A lot! Sometimes I think in English, sometimes I think in Spanish, sometimes I go from one to the other right in the middle of a thought! And sometimes..." (slight pause for dramatic effect) "... I even DREAM in Spanish!"
- wide-eyed kids: "WHOA!", "No way!", etc.