|at Two Writing Teachers!|
- Husband and I traveled to Spain, a trip I planned as a fifth-anniversary present for us. It was AWESOME and I'll be sharing more about it for the next few Fridays for Spanish Fridays. While there, I journaled each day in my Spanish travel journal. (the same one I had with me when I lived there!) I also got in some just-for-fun reading in the planes, trains, and parks! Best of all, I lived with joy the whole time.
- A few days after we got back, my mom and I went out to Arizona to visit relatives for a few days. My oldest cousin's family is shipping out to Turkey for two years (her husband is a JAG) and it was really special to spend some time with them before they left.
- Husband and I celebrated our anniversary this past Saturday. The trip was my present to him, but he got me a present that was just as thoughtful and personal: a spiral notebook of the emails we wrote back and forth to each other while I was studying abroad in Spain. We were dating at the time, and he wrote me an email every day with a different snippet of a love song in the subject line. For the present, he compiled and formatted them all (to and from) into this notebook:
|a powerful reminder of how writing connected us from faraway|
- We performed with the Alumni Band at the State Fair and then got to become little kids again. (Doesn't the fair make everyone into a kid?) We petted all the animals, dangled our feet on the skyride, and ate waaaaaay too much junk food. (Including fried Buckeyes -- yummy!)
- I've been loving following the incredible moments of triumph, courage, and community in the Olympics. For me, these 2012 Olympics are even more special because I met my New Zealand pen pal in the 1992 Olympic pen pal program... and we are still writing (and now emailing and Facebooking) 20 years later! (I am planning a slice or two on this special connection soon!)