Sunday, March 10, 2013

Ripples of summer

Day 10 of 31 at Two Writing Teachers!
"I know it's spring, because we cross-country skied and rode bikes in the same week!" Daddy grinned as he drove us home from the OSU basketball game.  The windows were down, the sun was warming our faces through the moon roof... winter was gone!  Suddenly, I realized that he was in the wrong lane.  "Daddy, remember, you're taking us home!" I shrieked, as he started to turn right.  However, when the car swung around the corner, we all started to giggle.  Sonic!!!  Creamy hot fudge sundaes and thoughts of summer.

Several hours later, the warm wind carried the persistent chirps of redwing blackbirds over the soft whirr of our bicycle wheels.  My lungs expanded to breathe big gulps of sweet, fresh sunshine as my legs rejoiced in the power of pedaling.  Cattails danced in the breeze, framing Husband's sweet smile, and my parents' laughter drifted back to us over the golden dunes of the Metro Park grasslands.

Even though heaps of plowed snow occasionally blocked our path, they seemed more like distant memories than cautions that winter hasn't left us completely.  While I know the darkness and harsh winds will return, I also know there will be more ripples of summer.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really lovely day! We had ten inches of snow in Colorado yesterday, then today it was almost 50 degrees. Not sure we are quite to summer yet, but I definitely think we have hit spring time in the Rockies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ripples of summer, what a great way to say it! I can't believe you had a snow day and now a few days later you are riding bikes. I thought our weather was fickle, but yours takes the prize today. Can't wait for those warmer days and back to the bike.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy and I'd love to hear from YOU! :-)