|Day 17 of 31 at Two Writing Teachers!|
People often correctly guess that I'm an only child, because my parents show their love for me so enthusiastically. Mommy and Daddy became a running joke in the marching band because they not only attended every performance (big or small, close or far away), but also somehow managed to always appear in the front row! (One time, they even beat us to a high school band show we performed at after a football game... when we had a police escort from the game to the high school!) Everyone in band knew (and loved) my parents, and now the members of the alumni band are starting to feel the same way.
However, they haven't even seen all the small, everyday ways my parents love me.
- Mommy sends me little notes and presents through inter-office mail.
- She takes me out to lunch and shopping on days off school.
- She makes my favorite meals, like her special spaghetti, when I come over.
- She calls me up "just to hear my voice", and her voice is filled with delight when I answer.
- She still uses all her little nicknames for me, like "Sweetie Pie", "Honey Bunch", and "Sweet Pea".
- She still sings me our special lullaby when we snuggle on the couch.
- Daddy, the engineer, gets so hyper when I come over that he dances around the house, makes a million corny jokes, and ensures that every meal we eat together is a feast.
- He drives my mom crazy by saving every little thing that belonged to me when I was little.
- He still brings me little presents every time he goes on a business trip and gives them to me in a family ritual that we call "The Unpacking of the Suitcase". (I guess I need to write a slice about that sometime!)
- He teaches my husband how to take care of the yard and fix things in the house.
All that, and a million other moments throughout my life. I love my parents because they love me.