Monday, March 10, 2014

Awakening

10 of 31 at Two Writing Teachers!
Exactly a week ago, I was lamenting the bleak stinging swipes of frigid air that hit me as I walked out of school.

Today, I relished the feeling of soaring through my familiar tunnel of majestic trunks as sweet sunlight poured through their spindly branches. Peeking through my sunroof, I could see their grateful boughs stretching skyward, beckoning the soft warmth to come closer.

Slowly, their long-frozen limbs are relaxing, embracing the bygone joy of spring. Gradually, their slumbering heartbeats come to life deep within their ancient layers. Steadily, vital sap courses through their primeval veins, awakening memories of nascent buds and fragrant flowers. Filled with aspirations of verdant canopies, eager to welcome the chirps and flutters of feathered friends, they reach toward the promises of summer.

photo credit: Lawrence OP via photopin cc
How do I know what the trees are feeling?

The same transformation is happening inside of me.


7 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE your last two lines! :) I feel that transformation too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and poetic. Love "Slowly, their long-frozen limbs are relaxing, embracing the bygone joy of spring." Here it comes, but I have heard that another blast is coming. Hopefully the last one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the description and the last two lines perfected! Just how I feel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa Jennifer, that's some poetic language you are writing! My favorite would have to be the slumbering heartbeats. I'm right there with you experiencing the same relief with the warmth. Sadly it is only for two days here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful description of today! "Vital sap" is what I might need if the storm hits close to us this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...this is an amazing piece of writing! I particularly loved the personification of the trees and the idea of them being "filled with aspirations of verdant canopies, eager to welcome the chirps and flutters of feathered friends" and reaching "toward the promises of summer." What beautiful words! Then, the last two lines are such the perfect end. I feel it, too! (Though, sadly, we may not be thinking the same thing tomorrow...)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy and I'd love to hear from YOU! :-)