Saturday, March 1, 2014

In with a spark

Day 1 of 31 at Two Writing Teachers!
This year, instead of coming in like a lion or a lamb, March has come in with a spark.

For the 3rd year, I'm participating in the March Slice of Life Story Challenge. I know it will be a whirlwind month of struggling and rejoicing, playing with words, pushing my limits, and connecting with old and new friends.

The first year, my husband was the only person in my "real life" who knew I was doing the challenge until it was over. Last year, I showed my parents a few of my posts, told some teachers about the challenge, and brought slicing into my classroom.

This year, as I strive to embody my OLW, I went out of my comfort zone by inviting several colleagues and all my friends from the Columbus Area Writing Project to join me. And guess what? My spark caught on. Some were excited to take on the challenge. Some weren't so sure about writing every day, but liked the idea of pushing themselves to write more often. A few are even creating brand new blogs thanks to my nudging!

I'm so proud of all of them for jumping in, and I'm honored to call them my friends and colleagues. I know this month will change their lives, just like the past three years of slicing have transformed mine!  Please welcome these incredible educators to their first month of slicing:

  • Laura (a TESOL graduate student who's observing me this semester!)
  • Stella (our elementary ELL Lead Teacher)
  • my mom (a high school principal)
  • Silke (an ELL colleague I've known since back when I taught Spanish)
  • Jennifer W. (a CAWP colleague)
  • Rachel (a middle school Language Arts teacher)
  • And of course, my students!!!

I'm looking forward to a special month of writing, shared with special people. Our stories draw us together.

10 comments:

  1. Well done trailblazer, just look at the exciting group of authors you are leading! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo! So I'm at the other end of your post. It was a fellow NWP teacher from my area that shared her post and encouraged me to participate for the first time in the #SOL14 challenge. Bravo for encouraging all sorts of writers to join you on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And that's how this world changes every day, every minute....it starts with an invitation, or a smile, and next thing you know a series of amazing events unfolds. Thanks for extending that invitation to write to all of us. We all need some nudging once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for inviting me to be a part of #sol14! i am excited to be a part of this special writing family. I always enjoy how your posts embody your enthusiasm-- I can see your smile in your writing! I can't wait to read all of your posts!-- Love, Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jennifer. I may have to visit again tomorrow to find all your friends, but look forward to it. I saw the student list too-so many to read & say hello to! Best wishes in your spark all month long!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for inviting me and challenging me to get started with this! I certainly needed someone to help 'spark' my motivation. Thanks for doing that! I'm looking forward to a challenging month ahead. I've already smiled to myself as I have thought of things you've written in the past that I can now relate to. This morning, my husband came into the living room as I was finishing my post and was greeted not with the usual "Good morning!" but with, "Hey...hold on...I'm working on something..." :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. There really is spark in your post! Can't wait to see what this spark will encounter during the month!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you had some takers to your invitation. What a great way to develop community.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way to create excitement about writing! The spark has lit some writing fires!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy and I'd love to hear from YOU! :-)