Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Here comes the sun...

Day 14 of 31 at Two Writing Teachers!
Here comes the sun

warm breezes wafting through the windows
short sleeves
silky light shirts

Here comes the sun

open moon roof, windows down
find a cheery song and
crank up the radio

Here comes the sun

spring air smooths the knots out of my back
time for track and field
and "Can we go outside today?"

Here comes the sun

milkshakes, ice cream, smoothies
bare toes wiggling
freedom is coming

Here comes the sun


All afternoon, I was planning on writing a poem about the GORGEOUS weather today. (And so I did!)  That was going to be my whole slice, until I was walking out of the building after school.  On the way out, I passed my current principal in the hallway, talking to the assistant principal. Waving, I said a cheery hello and planned to continue walking.  Instead, he took a step toward me, looked me straight in the eye, and said "We've had all the conversations here now.  We are good to go."

For a few seconds, I was confused.  He repeated, "We are good to go," with a slight nod of reassurance. Then it hit me and my face lit up.  "Oh!  Thank you!"

Translation of Mr. Kind-But-Gruff Burly Country Guy: my job is safe.  They had finished talking to everyone who was going to lose their jobs in the RIF and I wasn't one of those people. I don't know if he was telling that to everyone he saw, or if he just knew I was nervous. (I was pretty sure I would be ok, but I thought I might be close to the cutoff. Plus, my program is being cut, so I know I won't be doing this particular job next year.)  I'd like to think he knew I needed reassurance.  Even if he was just passing the word to everyone he saw, I'm glad he took the minute to do it.

Now the Beatles are cycling through my head:
"Here comes the sun / and I say: / It's alright..."

4 comments:

  1. Yeah! Yeah! and one more for the road, YEAH! Your job is safe, but you won't be doing what you are doing this year? That could be another slice to explain that. You picked the right song today!
    I love the feeling of warmth I get from your poem. Today spring is not here, it is summer temperatures! (I totally don't have the right clothes with me)
    Thanks for your comment on my celebrating post! I've enjoyed learning about you through your writing. Hang in there writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! So happy you got to keep your job! We are a better district for it!

    I loved how your post started with a poem--at first, I could hear the Beatles singing, but your words really spoke to me. Sunshine really does wonders for the body. I also loved your naming of your principal, Mr. Kind-But-Gruff Burly Country guy. A very happy and smiley post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just a perfect slice, Jennifer. Hurrah for you! And congratulations! I love your poem, filled with spring & Beatles & just fun. And I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the song threaded throughout your post, and especially the reason to sing it at the end! I also love that you are seeing the positive in this, and instead of being upset that your position will be changing, you are feeling grateful to have a position. You are so deserving of this great news!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy and I'd love to hear from YOU! :-)